(Consultancy based, TURkish residents with valid work permit only)
Based in Gaziantep with frequent visits to Hatay and Sanliurfa (potential future extension to Northwest Syria). Duration: 4 months with possibility of extension based on funding.
In the aftermath of two devastating earthquakes in Southeastern Turkey, humanitarian needs remain dire in affected areas. As a remedial support to the most vulnerable communities affected by the earthquake, Solidar Suisse has provided funding for a project implemented by two local partners in Gaziantep, Antakya and Sanliurfa. The project aims to cover Multipurpose Cash Assistance (MPCA), NFI and temporary shelter needs in these districts.
Role overall scope:
The MEAL Officer is entrusted to roll a MEAL framework and ensure its application in line with the project proposal. He/she introduces MEAL tools to implementing partners, e.g., for data collection, MEAL reporting, accountability, etc. and provides support whenever required. He/she ensures that data are systematically collected, correctly stored, analysed and used for planning, learning and reporting purposes by guiding the MEAL domain. He/she assures the data quality through cross checks and verification processes. He/she oversees the adherence and application of the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) in the project. Additionally, he/she oversees and monitors procurement and logistics processes of the partner organizations. As the key supporter of the project, the MEAL Officer will liaise closely with the relevant HQ staff for technical matters; supervised by the Field Coordinator to whom he/she will report regularly.
Main responsibilities and tasks
MEAL Officer will:
- Implement a comprehensive MEAL framework and ensure its proper application in the project.
- Identify and address shortfalls in monitoring, and information management that could impact the quality of project implementation.
- Design MEAL tools (PDMs, surveys, KIIs, FGDs, etc.) specifically for the project
- Develop capacities of partners in MEAL and provide technical assistance to them in developing and / or implementing the MEAL activities and tools of the project.
- Coordinate the MEAL activities (incl. data collection) of partner staff to ensure timely and conducive MEAL measures are applied properly and continuously.
- Introduce digital data gathering methods and provide guidance.
- Monitor the quality, reliability and relevance of data collected.
- Through continuous process monitoring ensure project activities, including logistics and procurement processes, are in line with Solidar Suisse standards and guidelines.
- Conduct regular field visits to follow up on project’s activities first hand and extract and discuss lessons learnt with project staff.
- Coordinate the timely reporting to HQ according to the donor’s reporting intervals and formats.
- Prepare periodic as well as on-demand MEAL reports.
- Train on and ensure the adherence to the Core Humanitarian Standards (accountability commitments)
- Ensure that accountability standards are institutionalized within the project.
- Develop and oversee a complaints and response mechanism in a participatory manner.
- Organize and facilitate learning sessions and follow up on respective action plans.
- Introduce knowledge management tools and ensure that lessons learned, and recommendations related to MEAL are documented and shared.
- Identify success stories, develop case studies and coordinate with the team on further action.
- Any other task assigned by the Field Coordinator and/or Desk Officer of Solidar Suisse
Required profile and experience
- A university degree in the Humanitarian related field (political science, social sciences, statistics, development, etc.)
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience at a similar position in a humanitarian context is required.
- Strong and proven understanding of the humanitarian operating context, donors, security, and project cycle management specifically in Turkey.
- Proven previous MEAL experience in MPCA and NFI based interventions is required.
- Previous proven experience in project reporting is required.
- Previous proven experience in procurement and logistics is a strong asset.
- Risk management knowledge is an asset.
- Ability to conduct and organize trainings for implementing partners.
- Strong knowledge of MEAL practices.
- Proven ability to design and implement MEAL practices independently.
- Very strong computer skills (Office, Power BI, Kobo etc.)
- Fluency in English and Turkish/Arabic is mandatory.
- Fluency in Kurdish is a strong asset.
- Organization skills, delegation, and empowerment approach to the partners
- Leadership and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility and agility
- High resilience to stress
- Willingness to travel (Valid Driver’s license)
How to apply: Interested candidates should submit their CVs along with a motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the urgency, the position will be filled on a rolling basis.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.